James E. Urmin Sr.
- Collaborative law, Collaborative Divorce & Family law; Franchise & Distribution law; Employment law (employment contracts, severance agreements, non-competes, etc.); Business law and Commercial agreements.
- Beverage Industry expertise with 25 years of legal experience.
- Strategic counsel in Franchise matters such as: distribution agreements; pricing and antitrust, “best efforts”; actual or implied franchise fees; breach-cure; product quality; sale, succession and/or termination; and mediation, arbitration & litigation pertaining to the foregoing.
- Draft, negotiate and enforce supply-chain, Franchise, Distribution, Bottling, Co-packing, Funding & volume incentive agreements.
- Investigation, litigation and negotiation services relating to employment, business or commercial disputes in the above areas.
- Help preserve in-house work product and privilege by conducting experienced, independent EEO investigations, recommendations, and position statements.
University of Baltimore School of Law – 1985 – 1987
- Casenote Debtor-creditor Relations, 16 U.Balt. L.Rev. 389-401 (1986)
- Casenote Maritime Liens & Containers, 19 J.Mar. L. & Com. 425 (1987)
- Activities and Societies: Associate Editor, Law Review
Case Western Reserve University – Weatherhead School of Management – 1978 – 1980
Cleveland State University – 1972 – 1977
Administrative Law Judge, Employment matters
City of Dallas, Civil Service Dept.
January 2014 – Present (2 years 3 months)
- Appointed to two-year term by recommendation of Judicial Nominations Committee and Dallas City Council resolution. Conduct hearings of and render decisions on administrative appeals of terminated and/or demoted city employees.
Clearly Food & Beverage Co., Inc.
May 2012 – Present (3 years 11 months)
- Demonstrate exceptional legal acumen in supporting this venture capital start-up beverage company. Oversee a diverse range of corporate and business matters, including general corporate governance, financing and securitization, managing outside counsel, and negotiating and authoring franchise & distribution agreements, supply chain agreements, executive employment, non-disclosure and non-compete agreements.
James E. Urmin, Sr. P.C. (d/b/a The Law Office of James E. Urmin)
December 2005 – Present (10 years 4 months)
- General civil practice as a sole practitioner. Focus on matters pertaining to Business, Contracts, trade secrets and covenants not to compete; Employment; Franchise & Distribution, price discrimination, implied franchise fees, and franchise discrimination; and the litigation of the foregoing kinds of matters in Federal district courts. Experienced in negotiating, drafting, and terminating or otherwise enforcing the contract rights of Franchisors, Franchisees, Master Licensors, Licensees, Distributors and Co-packers.
VP & Assistant General Counsel
Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages and Dr Pepper Co. (n/k/a Dr Pepper Snapple Group), Plano, TX
May 1999 – November 2005 (6 years 7 months)
EDS Corp. (n/k/a Hewlett-Packard Corp.), Plano, TX
July 1997 – April 1999 (1 year 10 months)
Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP, Dallas, TX
February 1993 – July 1997 (4 years 6 months)
Godwin & Carlton, P.C., Dallas, TX
August 1990 – January 1993 (2 years 6 months)
Briefing Attorney/Law Clerk
Hon. Robert W. Porter, U.S. District Court, Dallas TX
August 1988 – August 1990 (2 years 1 month)
Volunteer Experience & Causes
Opportunities James is looking for:
Skills-based volunteering (pro bono consulting)
Causes James cares about:
- Animal Welfare
- Arts and Culture
- Civil Rights and Social Action
- Human Rights
- Disaster and Humanitarian Relief